Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Just When You Thought We Were Going To Quit

Thanks to the dozens of calls, texts messages and emails from players, coaches and our loyal readers, we're not going to shut down the site! In honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and the fact that we are on the verge of Black History Month we refuse to let threats and racial slurs stop us from "dropping knowledge" and helping to raise awareness.

I had a conversation with a friend who said, "well you know you do write some controversial things on IPRB." I chuckled to myself and it reminded me that what some see as controversial IPRB sees as a matter of fact. Sure we have written and highlighted some topics which may make certain people feel uncomfortable but that is their problem. We didn't create the problems nor do we have all the solutions but our writing has always been accurate and responsible. We will continue to represent those who have no representation, whose story is misunderstood and have no avenue to bring it to the attention of the masses.


Over the last couple of days, I received calls from several legends of the game and they urged me not to quit on them. They all seemed to stress the same thing, that nobody has ever presented their feelings, experiences and views on basketball in Puerto Rico. That meant a lot to me and it inspired me.

When we started this blog we had less than 100 people reading it a day. Now we have a global following with people viewing the blog from as far away as China, Slovenia and Angola and to think that we started this to help local players' secure scholarships.

The game hasn't changed! It's always going to be about honor, integrity and never turning your back on people you respect and consider to be your friends and supporters. That's a code I live and die by and I'm never surprised by those who don't. My dad told me a long time ago that you can tell a lot about a person by how they act on a basketball court. How they act when they are competing against you versus playing with you. It's a lesson I've never forgotten and it has helped me see things about people that would eventually come true.

As my brother tells me all the time, " I ain't going nowhere so deal with it however you want".