Saturday, December 14, 2013

Josh Colon Has A Chip On His Shoulder

Class of 2016 St Benedicts PG Joshua Colon is the type of kid you love to route for. He never complains, has an incredible work ethic and plays hard on every possession. Colon along with Edwin Cancel and Arnaldo Toro joined fellow AAU teammate Nick Washington at St. Benedicts in August. Colon ended the summer on a high note when he made the Orange and White All Star Game at Five Star Basketball Camp Super Session in New York City. Colon scored 16 points in that game and showed he is a big time player." IPRB had a chance to catch up with Colon this afternoon and get an update on life at St. Benedicts Prep. Q: You put yourself on the map this summer at the Five Star Super Session in NYC. What was that like? A: The Five Star Camp was a great experience for me. I got to show my skills at a top camp in New York City! Q: You are roommates with Edwin Cancel and both of you are primarily playing on the St. Benedicts Prep Team this year. You are starting at PG on the Prep Team and had 20 points in your first game. Do you feel you can play at the highest level of HS basketball and why? A: I know I can play at the highest level of HS basketball. I have to put my hours in the gym and keep working. I'm learning from one of the best PG in the country in Jon Williams. For me, every time I step on the court nobody will out hustle me. I will do anything I can to help my team win. So I am going to keep working on my game so I will be ready when coach calls my number. Q: There is no question you are one of the top guards in the 16U category in Puerto Rico. You didn't tryout for the National Team last summer. Are you planning to do so this year? A: If I have an opportunity to tryout for the National Team of course I will go and do my best to make the team. Q: Like Edwin Cancel a lot of people questioned why you selected St. Benedicts. You also could have been a starter on most varsity teams and a superstar at Adianez here in Puerto Rico. Why did you leave and why did you select St. Benedicts? A: I left the island because I have a dream. I know I will have more opportunities to go to college if I play at St Benedicts. Plus, being with my brothers (Nick, Edwin and Arnaldo) makes it really special. Q: People have never given you the credit you deserve as being one of the elite players in the class of 2016 and one of the best guards in Puerto Rico. How does that make you feel? A: To be honest, when I didn't get a chance to tryout for the 15U National Team last summer made me work so hard. And not getting the credit makes me determined to work harder then anybody. I know I can play and I believe in myself. Q: Every time you go out on the court you play with a chip on your shoulder. Do you feel like you have something to prove? A: Every time I step on the court I have a chip on my shoulder to prove people wrong. That is what I have been doing my whole life. Q:St Benedicts is playing in PR Hoops Tournament next week. You played in it last year with your former school, Adianez. Are you ready for that? A: I'm super excited about playing in Mayaguez again. I played last year for Adianez as a freshman. I have a feeling it is going to be really fun. It will be a great feeling being back in PR and seeing my mom, my dad, my little brothers and my friends. I can't wait. Q: Like Edwin Cancel you had other options to attend school. Even though the Prep Team plays the same basic schedule as the Varsity team and you are the starting PG on the Prep Team did you consider leaving when Coach Taylor told you that you would primarily play on the Prep Team? A: I can't give up on my dreams because of that. I'm not a quitter and I will never be that! I'm just going to keep working hard and use this year to learn and work hard and get prepared to play on the Varisty next year. This race is a marathon not a sprint. I understand that so I never considered leaving. Only guys who don't think they can play here transfer and I know I deserve to be here and can play here. So the answer is No!